Dabangg, My Name is Khan win awards

on Sunday, June 26, 2011

Dabangg, My Name is Khan win awards

Toronto: Dabangg and My Name is Khan won top honours at the 12th International Indian Film Academy awards here on Saturday, with the Salman Khan starrer Dabangg scooping up six trophies in the popular category, while the best actor and director awards went to Shah Rukh Khan and Karan Johar for My Name is Khan.

Dabangg, which was the highest grosser last year, was adjudged the best film of 2010. Anushka Sharma won her maiden best actress award for Band Baja Baraat.

Sonakshi Sinha won the best debut female award for her performance in Dabangg, while Sonu Sood grabbed the best negative role trophy. Sajid-Wajid, alongwith Lalit Pandit, bagged the best music direction award for their chartbusting numbers in the film, while Abhinav Kashyap and Dilip Shukla bagged the best screenplay award.

The best playback singer (male) award went to Rahat Fateh Ali Khan for Tere mast mast do nain, while the hit item number Munni Badnam Hui got Mamta Sharma the best playback singer (female) award, both for Dabangg.

Asha Bhosle was honoured with the Lifetime Achievement award, while Dharmendra, who performed some of his hit songs , was honoured by Shah Rukh and Ramesh Sippy for his contribution to the film industry.

Asha Bhosle said awards inspire her to continue singing. “ Maaee, my debut Hindi film was under production when I was told about this honour. Now that the film is complete and ready for release, I must tell IIFA to keep another award for me next year. I will continue to sing till the end,” she said. The best story award went to Shivani Makhija for My Name Is Khan, while Vishal Bhardwaj won the best dialogue for Ishqiya. The best lyrics award was bagged by Niranjan Iyengar for My Name Is Khan.

Sharmila Tagore, who was handed the Outstanding Achievement award by Shabana Azmi for 40 years of her cinematic journey, said the presence of directors like Shakti Samanta and Hrishikesh Mukherjee in the Hindi film industry helped her retain her Bengali sensibilities. — PTI

0 comments:

Post a Comment